Sunday, April 16, 2017

Jesus is Just Alright

I can see why drugs play a big part in the Rock'n'Roll lifestyle.  Vitamin D and Jack Daniels just dont't cut it after 3 days.  I know from last night's experience.  You can only drink so much Tooheys New before you head to the strong stuff.  By 10pm our merry band of pranksters were flagging.  I don't think I can make it to The Doobies was the common cry apart from James who complained he couldn't get into the groove.

Unloading perkily from Blanche's bus Kim, Jon and I headed for Delta where English indy darlings Turin Brakes were kicking off at 6.00.  We have been feeding next door neighbour Jon with a steady stream of the Brakes ever since their inclusion at Bluesfest was announced.  Like a number of the obscurer (sic) bands in my collection my introduction to Turin Brakes came from a Mojo or Uncut disc, and built from there.  I hoped they would match my hype.  No problem!  Ollie and co were brilliant sounding just like their records and entertaining to boot.  They're on again today folks!.

The offer of beer and burger for $19 at the Tooheys' tent next door to Delta seemed a good idea at the time, and it gave me a chance to catch up with a cousin or two who tend to hang there. When you have 41 first cousins (on my paternal side), it is almost impossible to miss a meeting.  However, it happened and my disappointment was compounded by spending way too much time in another queue waiting for underwhelming food.  I can't recommend Smokey Joe's Cafe or whatever it is called.  In addition Laura Mvula's soul set next door was giving me the irrits.  That bass was way too loud!

Standing in a queue does give you the opportunity to have a good old natter, and it would seem rock tragics and superannuated hippies are no different.  On the outgoing bus, Sydneysider Michael, Kim and I and reminisced about past gigs (how about the night we saw that new band from Melbourne Skyhooks at the Bondi Lifesaver ~ Living In The 70's was released the following week), proving we had paid our dues.  Outside the Smokehouse, a pleasant tie-dyed lady from Noosa and I exchanged views on past Bluesfest performances we had seen, in addition to agreeing how much better it was now that the dreaded chair people had been put in their place.  As earlier stated, it's the little things that count.

7.45PM  Where are you guys  A message from Jon.
8.07PM  Record Company (at Jambalaya).  Get the hell over here  Another message from Jon.
8.24PM  We're here!!! Our response.
9.07PM  At buddy now.  Holly shit the r company was good Jon
9.41PM You gone? Jon

10.05PM Nope, We having a break before the Doobies Us
10.06PM Im front right.  Near stage  You can still get close Jon

10.07PM I'm in the line to get drinks Us
Riveting.  Isn't it!

Despite feeling our ages, Kim and I shoehorned ourselves into Mojo just as The Doobies kicked off with Jesus Is Just Alright, Rockin' Down the Highway and Take Me In Your Arms.  Well, that's a statement of intent!.  The next batch of songs could be considered filler, but by concerts' end the crowd were well satisfied.  St Paul & The Broken Bones were closing Crossroads as we lingered a little at Jambalaya for a touch of Slightly Stoopid before boarding the bus back to Byron.

Hump Day, Slump Day.  I'm pooped.

1 comment:

  1. Nearly passed out when I read 'I don't think I can make it to The Doobies' good to see you didn't let the side down xx

    ReplyDelete